Thursday, November 20, 2008

Shashwat's Veterans Day Composition

Here is what my 8 year old son wrote for Veterans Day Assembly at school.

Veterans are people in the United States Armed Forces, who risk their lives to protect their country's freedom. They give their best to protect what they love. Veterans Day is an annual American holiday, where we honour such individuals who serve our country. Veterans Day is also known as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in other parts of the world.Veterans Day was originally set as a legal holiday to honour the end of World War I. U.S. President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed Armistice Day on November 11, 1919. This day is dedicated to the veterans who served in World War I. When President Dwight Eisenhower came to power in 1954, he decided that Armistice Day should be changed to honour all the veterans who fought and served their country and not just the people who served in World War I. The Congress later amended the rule that Armistice Day should instead be called as Veterans Day.

Veterans Day is important because it teaches us about the sacrifice and dedication of our veterans. It reminds us of those patriots who loved their country and fought for its freedom. They were ready to give up their lives to bring peace to the world. On this day we honour their contributions to our nation. We should honor the veterans to show our respect, love, and regards towards them. We can send the veterans thank-you postcards. We can ask them how it is like to serve the nation and learn from their experiences. We can make donation to U.S. Armed Forces to help them. We also celebrate Veterans Day with speeches and placing flowers on the military graves. The US President places a wreath on the tomb of the unknown soldiers. A moment of silence is observed. We are grateful that our veterans brought independence to our country and peace to the world. I am proud that I live in a country with freedom and safety due to our veterans. I thank the veterans from the bottom of my heart.

We also had assembly in our school on the Veterans Day. We started the assembly with the Pledge of Allegiance. We sang a song called the Caisson's Go Rolling Along. Our Principal, Mr. Mounteer asked a few questions about the Veterans Day to all the students, such as, who is a veteran, how do we celebrate this day, and what do we learn from them. After that a few students went up to tell their compositions, letters to veterans, and poems. I was selected to represent my class. I was feeling quite nervous because this was my first time speaking my composition in an assembly. I was the first one to speak my composition among all the selected students, in front of the whole of third and second graders and my teachers. The assembly was concluded with another song called Grand Old Flag. It was a wonderful experience hearing what others wrote in their compositions. At the end, our teachers let us out the door quietly.

No comments: